First mentioned as Eisenhammer zu Keula (Keula iron hammer mill) more than 500 years ago, Keulahütte is one of the oldest iron foundries in Germany today.
In more recent history, in particular during Berlin’s industrialisation in the 19th century, the company specialised in castings for water distribution networks and mechanical engineering applications. A 25-tonne flywheel that was cast for Borsig Berlin and put on display at the World’s Fair in Paris in 1889 brought wider international recognition for what was then known as the Keula ironworks.
After the Second World War, the company evolved into a highly capable manufacturer of foundry products. The works saw major investments both to significantly boost production efficiency and to expand its product range. Keulahütte’s strategic decision to set up a machining shop and a surface finishing shop in addition to the foundry led to extensive investments in high-tech production facilities.
The foundry is divided into five main operations: an electric melting shop, a machine moulding shop, a hand moulding shop, a core-making shop and a fettling shop. This organisational structure provides excellent conditions for large, medium and small-series production of castings with workpieces ranging in weight from 5 kg up to 4500 kg.
Several CNC machining centres, lathes and boring mills are operated in the machining shop and enable the company to supply ready-to-install cast components. The particular importance placed on corrosion protection is reflected in the three modern epoxy resin powder coating systems that are in operation at Keulahütte.
The certified quality system in accordance with DIN EN ISO 9001:2008 includes the entire production process.
- Products and manufacturing